Extracting a transcript from the video

's Avatar

mjporterphotos

04 Feb, 2012 05:09 AM

How can I extract the subtitles as a text document AFTER I've finished the video?

I start with a document, but then I make corrections as I work on the video, and they don't get back into the original document.

It would be great not to have to do it manually.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by m.shamraeva on 06 Feb, 2012 12:52 PM

Hi,

Ready subtitles can be downloaded as a text file with timing (Download -> SRT on the subtitle page) or without timing (Download -> TXT).

I am not sure though what you mean by making corrections which don't get back into the original document. Could you please describe what you are trying to do in more detail? A link to the particular video would be exceptionally helpful. Thank you for your input!

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Margarita Shamraeva
    Universal Subtitles

2. 2 Posted by mjporterphotos on 06 Feb, 2012 10:59 PM

Hi Margarita...

I'll go try this and let you know if it doesn't work. I think you may have completely solved my problem.
    What I mean by "corrections not making it back"... is that I work from a Word Doc... cutting and pasting the subtitles in. Then as I watch and correct I find my typos, words I want to change and so on. And -- my own fault -- as I'm doing this... I don't go back and make all the same changes in the original Word Doc... which I should. So I was looking for a "lazier" way to do it.
    Next question -- I can see I can simply upload the subtitles in one doc... But I haven't figured out how to save the Doc with the correct format (one of the ".xxx" listed. Can you help with that? I have Word, Pages on the Mac... and of course text editor.

THANKS!

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by m.shamraeva on 07 Feb, 2012 01:19 PM

Hi,

From the sum of your messages, I assume that you need to paste a text transcript only, without timing information (which will be added later in sync with the sound in the video with the use of our subtitling dialog).

If so, you can just save your transcript as a plain text file (do a “Save as” in Word,
    select “Save as type” as “plain text”, make sure the file has "txt" extension and click “Save”).

Next, click "Upload" link at the bottom of the video page. In the invoked "Upload Subtitles" dialog, click "paste in a transcript" link. Choose the language and the TXT file to upload (or just paste the transcript into the multi-line editor in the dialog.

The last thing before committing the upload is to split the text into subtitle blocks. The shorter is usually the better; no more than 3 lines are allowed per single block. Separate blocks by empty lines (i.e. two subsequent line breaks).

Now, click "Submit Transcript" to finish the task. Please be very careful when uploading subtitles, since it is a potentially harmful action that can damage other people's translations of the same video.

Hint: you can download any subtitles on the site in TXT format to see what a valid transcript file looks like.

Hope this helps, but if you still have questions, they are welcome.

Best regards,

Margarita Shamraeva
    Universal Subtitles

4. m.shamraeva closed this discussion on 07 Feb, 2012 01:19 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac