Uploading srt files for Khan Academy movies

shahar

29 Jan, 2012 06:08 PM

Hi,

I'm working on translating the Khan Academy movies from English to Hebrew. I already have a bunch (~150) of ready srt files, I would like to be able to upload those files to their corresponding movies. Is that possible?

Thanks,
Shahar

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by m.shamraeva on 31 Jan, 2012 07:13 AM

Hi Shahar,

Yes, there is the option of uploading SRT files to videos through Universal Subtitles interface. The steps are as follows:

1. Open the desired video on KA page, e.g. http://www.khanacademy.org/video/equations-2?topic=core-algebra.
    2. Click on the widget tab under the video to expand the drop-down menu.
    3. From the menu, select "Subtitle Homepage" item.
    4. In the top left corner, click Arrow Left symbol (←), as in Original English subtitles
      ← Equations 2
    5. On the main video page, scroll down to "Contribute" section and click "upload" link.
    6. In "Upload Subtitles" dialog, specify the language and the location of your SRT file. When done, click "Upload" button. You may need to refresh the page to see the new language added to the list.

The process should be relatively easy, but PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE watch carefully what language you are selecting. If by mistake you choose the video's original language (English) instead of Hebrew, all the translations from English will lose link with the source language, which will cause havoc among translators. So please be extra careful and double- or even triple-check all the parameters before clicking "Upload".

Thank you for your understanding. If you have further questions or problems, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Margarita Shamraeva
    Universal Subtitles

2. m.shamraeva closed this discussion on 31 Jan, 2012 07:13 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac