import/export?

traverser11

17 Jan, 2012 12:55 AM

Hi, i'd like to make the switch to using Universal Subs,
but before i start, i can't see any function to export the subs i will create into a subtitle file (eg .SRT) for offline use.

is import/export already a feature or is it planned in the future?

unfortunately this application will not be much use to me without the ability to save the subtitles to a file that can then be used by a dvd creation software such as DVD flick, or rendered into the video with a program like avidemux for offline file distribution.

it would also be much more practical if we are able to upload and import already existing subtitle files for use with universal subs. for example if we've already subtitled a video it doubles our work to do it over again, or for people that are already familiar with the many native subtitling softwares to use the softwares they are familiar with.

it does look like a really useful tool and an exciting project, i especially like the prospect of having multiple languages available in a single online video, and making subtitling easy for more people to work on, but without import/export i'm worried it will just increase workloads.

please be in contact, keen to get involved.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by m.shamraeva on 18 Jan, 2012 02:48 AM

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Universal Subtitles and for contacting us.

The answer to both your questions is yes, you can import (upload) and export (download) subtitles in a number of popular formats - SRT, SSA, DFXP, TTML, SBV. You can also upload and download text transcripts without timing.

You can try downloading subtitles, for example, from this page - http://www.universalsubtitles.org/en/videos/NmkV5cbiCqUU/. Click "Download" button above the transcript and choose the desired format from the list to save the file on your computer.

Uploading can be performed from the main video view (e.g. http://www.universalsubtitles.org/en/videos/NmkV5cbiCqUU/info/Learn..., "upload" link in the "Contribute" section). Please be very careful when using this feature on the videos that are already subtitled or being subtitled by other people, as this action can damage other people's work.

If you have more questions, please feel free to ask, we'll be happy to help.

Happy subtitling!

Margarita Shamraeva
    Universal Subtitles

2. m.shamraeva closed this discussion on 18 Jan, 2012 02:48 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

15 Jan, 2017 12:35 AM
25 Oct, 2016 05:48 PM
26 Sep, 2016 03:12 AM